Dragon Boat Challenge 2015 at Leicester Riverside Festival
A fabulous day of fun and entertainment for all the family, so act now, form a crew and enter the challenge!
When You Wish Upon a Star is working with Gable Events to bring the Dragon Boat Challenge to Castle Gardens for the Leicester Riverside Festival.
Dragon Boat racing is an ancient Chinese tradition and the fastest growing water activity in Britain today – as well as the most fun. No previous experience required, just plenty of team spirit! The event is open to everyone and crews are expected to battle it out over the 200m course, watched by crowds and spectators.
To see what it's all about watch this YouTube video of our event in Salford Quays.
- Crews must comprise of 8-10 paddlers, plus a drummer, and squads may be larger.
- Crews can be mixed, all female, or all male.
- Organisations may enter more than one crew.
- The minimum age is 16 years, and no previous experience is required.
- All crew members must be able to swim in light clothing and in moving water and compete entirely at their own risk.
- Qualified helms, buoyancy aids and water safety cover are provided.
- The entry fee is £400 per crew.
- Official charity sponsorship forms will be supplied with your entry confirmation.
- All sponsor forms and money must be handed in to Race Control before your first crew's race on the day.
- Each individual is encouraged to raise as much money as possible with £50 per participant as a minimum requirement.
How to enter
Please download and print the entry form, complete, sign and return it together with your entry fee of £400 (per crew) to When You Wish Upon a Star.
• When You Wish Upon a Star, Futurist House, Valley Road, Nottingham, NG5 1JE
• Cheques are payable to When You Wish Upon a Star
• Call 0115 9791 720 to make a card payment.
- Dragon boats
- Qualified helms and all racing equipment
- At least 3 races per crew
- Trophy for the winning crew
- Medals for the top three crews
- Prize for the crew raising the most money for When You Wish Upon a Star
- Prize for the best dressed team
- Music and entertainment
In 2015 we are delighted to be celebrating 25 years of granting Wishes, and this event will raise funds to help us continue granting the Wishes for children living with a life threatening illness. Without the generosity of people like you, we simply couldn’t grant the Wishes for these brave children.
Leicester Riverside Festival is a lively weekend of activities for the whole family. This popular festival offers boat trips, live music, food stalls from around the world, displays and an exciting choice of activities for all ages, making it a fun packed weekend, so for more information about this event visit The Riverside Festival Website and if you would like more information about the Dragon Boat Challenge, please call the fundraising team on 0115 9791 720.